[WEB4LIB] Power Point

Andy Mezynski andym at laredolibrary.org
Mon Nov 23 12:12:10 EST 1998

>Hi,
>I'm trying to convert a Power Point slide into an image for the Web.  It's
>a chart with a few columns.  I've tried saving it as a gif and jpeg but it
>always seems to get messed uo in one way or the other.   Can anyone assist
>me on this one?  I would also appreciate it if anyone could point me in the
>"right" direction for a course on working with images for the Web.
>
>Thanx
>Kristin Osk Hlynsdottir

Hi,

I know at least two ways you could try to do it:
1. Save the Power Point presentation as HTML (each slide will be save as
separate image), then open it using one of the browsers and save the slides
you want under names of your choice (PowerPoint saves slides naming them
with hard to remember mixture of digits and letters).
2. If you have Windows '95 use the screen caption – just press the “Print
Screen” button for the whole screen or “Shift – Alt – Print Screen” for the
active window, then paste the “captured” image into one of the
image-processing programs.  I like Image Composer, but Photo Shop or any
other application should be able to handle this.

You asked about the "right" direction for a course on working with images
for the Web.

The mentioned by me Image Composer comes with the newest version of Front
Page, but can be purchases separately from Microsoft (I guess).  It has very
nice tutorial in the help menu, and in general, is much easier to use than
Photo Shop.  I don’t work for Microsoft and don’t like monopoly, but I
really do think that Image Composer is the right choice for someone who
wants to create and process images for Web without spending lots of time
learning one of the powerful applications.

Good luck!

Andy Mezynski
Laredo Public Library