compilations of subject specific search engines

Luck, Deanne L LuckDL at apsu.edu
Wed Nov 25 16:11:44 EST 1998

After posting the following request, I got several suggestions and requests
to share.  So, here's my quickly annotated list of "subject-specific search
engine gateway" sites, roughly in my order of preference.  Nothing against
the ones towards the bottom, they just weren't exactly what I was looking
for.

>I'm looking for a site that lists, by subject, all of the subject-specific
>search engines and large, yahoo-type directories out there (ones like
>Internet Library for Librarians, http://www.itcompany.com/inforetriever/ or
>WWWomen,  http://www.wwwomen.com/ )

DeAnne Luck
Electronic Resources Librarian
Austin Peay State University
LuckDL at apsu.edu

http://www.isleuth.com/webs.html - my favorite.  Has a fairly in-depth
hierarchy and seems to have lots of resources under each.  Can search every
site from the isleuth page.  Hierarchy includes subjects with an academic
bent, like anthropology and pharmacology, not just popular topics.

http://www.beaucoup.com - my second choice.  Has quite a few links, many
academic, but it needs more specific subject categories.

http://www.dreamscape.com/frankvad/search.html - Similar to Beaucoup, a lot
of links in a few broad categories.  More popular than academic.  Also has a
very annoying animated gif at the top of all the pages.

http://www.webtaxi.com - Includes a good list of search engines focusing on
certain countries or regions, but not subject organization

http://search.cnet.com/ - Includes a lot of sites but they are not organized
specifically enough.  Focuses much more on popular topics such as travel,
money,  or shopping than on academic subjects.

http://www.directoryguide.com/ - Doesn't seem to include enough sites and is
more focused on popular information.

http://www.nla.gov.au/internet.html#alls - Good organization but not many
links are given under the "search engine" category