[WEB4LIB] The End of the Netscape Browser?

Humbert Suarez humbert at mwsearch.com
Wed Nov 25 11:29:01 EST 1998

I am also concerned about the future of the Netscape browser.
But already before the deal the future was not bright giving the shrinking
market share. I think that there are a number of positives in the current
deal. AOL and Sun are strong companies while Netscape was loosing
money. AOL is clearly a competitor of Microsoft so it will not be
in its interest to roll over and let Microsoft take over the browser
market. Sun might actually be interested in the Netscape browser and
can now have much more influence over its design and how tightly it
can integrate with Java. Despite all this we will have to see how the
dice rolls in the next 6 months.

Humbert H. Suarez, MD PhD
Medical World Search Division
(http://www.mwsearch.com)