[WEB4LIB] Video over Frame Relay

Linda Woods Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Fri Nov 20 19:17:54 EST 1998

At 11:26 AM 11/20/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Our agency is planning to expand upon our existing Frame Relay network
>to include long distance learning capabilities in the form of
>teleconferencing. Has any state implemented a video conference scenario
>using video-over-IP and Frame Relay?

You might want to check out the "Collaboration Collage"
(http://http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/vidconf/ed1vidconf.html) which is
part of the larger, Videoconferencing for Learning website
(http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/vidconf/). Look in "view the archives." If
it's not already there, it's a snap to join (free) and ask. It's not a busy
listserv; but it is a good one for sharing ideas on use and technology.

>Our goal is to provide training opportunities to libraries as well as
>interactive, multi-point sessions.

I have experience using NetMeeting for multi-point training sessions
without the video, just with sound. (Wrote the manual for Hewlett-Packard
as a graduate course project). I have used C-U-SeeMe with multiple sites
and video, and it was a ugly. Once you get it working, the next big hurdle
is organization of the session. It is difficult to manage people in
multipoint sessions without a pre-planned structure. The more bells and
whistles you add to the interface, the more bells and whistles people are
playing with while you are training. But that's life.  I guess it was
probably the same with every other technology.

>The research I have performed indicates a quagmire of "standards" and
>technologies.  If anyone has been successful in this endeavor, I would
>greatly appreciate your input.

My choice is NetMeeting because it is free, it works, and, all things being
Microsoft, it will probably continue to become increasingly compatible with
other applications. I have a feeling 1999 is going to be the year for TCP
based video over intranets/internets.
Linda Woods Hyman
Pacific Bell Education First
NE 287