CGI Scripts and Authentication

krieb at SLU.EDU krieb at SLU.EDU
Mon Nov 16 11:18:01 EST 1998

Hello all,
Is  anyone familiar with a CGI script that automatically "passes"
username and password information to another web site without the end
user seeing this information?

For my situation I have created a username/password .htaccess directory
on our web page that has a list of links to online resources
(ejournals, databases, etc.) that are restricted by username and password.
However, some vendors have indicated that they do not want the username
and password information to their site made public.  So I am left to
authenticate folks manually to our password protected directory on our web
page and then "automatically" log them in to remote sites.  My guess is
that a cgi script would be the best way to do this but I am not a Perl
programmer.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Krieb
Assistant Director for Library Automation
St. Louis University Health Sciences Center Library