Job Posting

Daniel P. Halloran danh at acbc.com
Fri May 15 19:26:40 EDT 1998

Manager - Information Technology

1) The main goal of the Manager - Information Technology it to provide
vision and guidance on the company's use of technology to improve service
to its customers and to improve the efficiency of the company's operations.
This includes:
        computer hardware
        computer software
                * third-party programs
                * company developed programs
        computer operating systems
        networking & communications issues

2) The Manager - Information Technology will work with customers to
understand their needs and advise the company on ways of meeting those
needs.  This can include visits to libraries, attending trade shows, phone
consultations, professional reading, and contact with other professionals.
 Some of this work will be looking for new and innovative ways of
responding to library needs, ways of enhancing current services, ways of
meeting special needs of customers, and helping libraries improve their
productivity by using the services of Academic Book Center.

3) The Manager - Information Technology will work with company employees to
determine their technology needs and propose appropriate solutions.  This
can include new programs, new hardware, debugging existing programs, adding
new features, and education and training on existing hardware and software.
 The goal is to provide tools for operations staff to efficiently and
productively provide services to our customers.  We strive to continually
improve the speed and quality of our services and to reduce the cost of
providing those services.

4)  The Manager - Information Technology will also work with publishers,
ILS vendors, bibliographic utilities, strategic partners and others to
further the goals of improving efficiency and quality of service to our
customers.

5) The Manager - Information Technology is responsible for creating the
strategy needed to implement the items discussed above.  In addition the
Manager - Information Technology will manage the implementation of
those strategies including:
        Recruiting and managing programming staff
        Creating design specifications
        Managing and participating in the writing of computer code
        Managing the installation and training of new programs
        Working with sales and marketing to introduce new features and
services
to customers

6) Required Achievements
        Demonstrated success in computer system project management related to
libraries or bookselling.
        Minimum of 5 years progressive development in systems innovation and
staff management.
        Proven ability to represent the company in a professional manner
within
the library and bookselling community
        Minimum of 7 years experience programming and designing large
relational databases
        Collaborative management style

7) Desired Characteristics
        Experience with Unix systems administration
        Experience programming with the Progress database management software
        Degree in Library Science
        Team oriented
        Organized
        Methodical
        Entrepreneurial
        Intrigued by the use of technology to solve our industry's problems

8) Compensation will consist of a salary commensurate with experience,
participation in corporate bonus program, participation in health insurance
program, 401K program with corporate matching, and annual vacation.  Help
with relocation expenses will be available.

9) To apply send a resume, your salary history or salary requirements, and
a letter discussing our "Required Achievements" and "Desired
Characteristics" to:

        Daniel P. Halloran, President
        Academic Book Center, Inc.
        5600 NE Hassalo St.