Style Sheets

Gerald M. Furi gmf at metronet.lib.mi.us
Wed May 13 16:24:04 EDT 1998

Good afternoon, all.

I have enjoyed the discussion re: CSS very much and, yes, I believe they do
hold great promise. I don't pretend to have the technical expertise of the
list mavens, but the last time I experimented with CSS (around 4 months ago)
I found that MSIE (4.0n) and Communicator had wildly different
implementations / interpretations, with such variance as to render
cross-browser consistency nonexistent. CSS works splendidly using MSIE on an
intranet, but I manage a consortium of public libraries with over 12,000
user accounts and a minimum of 120 dialup lines among them. Analyses of our
web server logs show that patrons are using everything from early Mac
versions of Netscape through the latest MSIE and Communicator releases. And
what about earlier browser versions? How about, say, Opera? I'd be most
interested in hearing readers' insights or experiences concerning this. Or
am I missing something?

Gerald Furi
System Administrator, Metro Net Library Consortium, Inc.
Farmington Hills, MI