ADA guidelines for webpages?

Roger Rayborn raybornr at crpl.cedar-rapids.lib.ia.us
Wed May 13 16:54:17 EDT 1998

At 11:45 AM -0600 5/13/98, Wilfred Drew wrote:
>Can anyone tell me if there are ADA guidelines for
>webpages?  Several people testing my survey form have asked
>me if NJC is ADA compliant.
>--

One good approach would be to check with the Center for Applied Special
Technology ( http://www.cast.org/bobby/  ).  They work with "individuals
with disabilities through innovative computer technology".  The "Bobby"
HTML Analyzer looks at some of the issues of the disabled and makes
recommendations with those issues in mind.

They base their analyzer on a document from the Web Accessiblity Initiative
at http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH .   This document is a list of
markup guidelines that HTML authors should follow in order to make their
pages more accessible for people with disabilities

The DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking & Technology) site
at
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~doit/Brochures/Technology/universal.design.html
also has some good recommendations.  They also have a video specifically on
designing accessible Web Pages.

Roger A. Rayborn			raybornr at crpl.cedar-rapids.lib.ia.us
Computer Information Systems Manager
Cedar Rapids Public Library