NETSCAPE PREFERENCES

Hans Hrusa hru at novsrv.ub.tuwien.ac.at
Thu May 28 09:58:50 EDT 1998

Andrew J. Mutch wrote:

> I've set netscape.hst and prefs.js as read-only, after clearing the web
> sites from the prefs file and each time Netscape is reopened, the history
> is clear. However, I'm wondering if setting the prefs file as read-only is
> going to cause problems at some point.  Any warnings??

Try a recent version of the communicator! You can set the whole
subdirectory
read-only, it works good! An expert user may change the preferences, but
with the next start of the communicator settings are sent to nirwana!

(by the way, name the proxy server "you are not allowed to use this
address",
- in the "manual proxy section" -
and put in the section "no proxy for" the IP and domain range you want
your users to access! It prevents most users of reading the playboy ...)

Greetings form Vienna,

--
Hans M. Hrusa, Univ. of Technology, Library
A-1040 Vienna, Resselgasse 4
Email: hru at novsrv.ub.tuwien.ac.at