Printing charging

Richard Milne ulsrm at lib-sas.rgu.ac.uk
Thu May 7 16:41:02 EDT 1998

Hi,

As printing seems to be a 'hot' topic at present, I thought I should
come out of lurker mode to see if anyone can help me.

Our University is designing a new building which is to contain a
brand new library, and one of my tasks is to find the best way to
introduce charges for the use of our laser printers.

I don't have a problem with printing from networked applications -
we're currently looking at systems such as GPAS (Geomica Printer
Accounting System) which will debit students Novell accounts.
Unfortunately however there are a significant number of standalone
applications, particularly CD-ROM stations which for one reason or
another cannot be easily accessed from students Novell accounts.

If we absolutely had to, we could link the CD-ROM workstations to
dedicated printers which had coin units fitted, but this would
be an extremely expensive option.   Can anyone suggest a better
solution?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Richard Milne,
Assistant Librarian - Systems
Library Services, The Robert Gordon University, St. Andrews Street
Aberdeen, Scotland, AB25 1HG
T : (01224) 262883  E : r.milne at rgu.ac.uk
Forza Samp!