NT Servers As Workstations?

Web Publishers Virtual Library arnett at alink.net
Wed Mar 25 20:56:51 EST 1998

At 05:40 PM 3/25/98 -0800, Vladislav S. Davidzon wrote:
>Good evening,
>
>I am just curious... Has anyone had any previous experience
>setting up an NT server as a staff workstation?  For example,
>would it be a bad idea to run the Primary Domain Controller
>and the Backup Domain Controllers as staff workstations?

Not in a library, but on a day-to-day basis I'm using a 150 MHz Pentium
with very fast SCSI disks and controllers as a mail server, Web server and
domain controller -- as well as my primary work machine.  There's not a
whole lot of activity on the network except a high volume of mail, but I
almost never notice any slowdown.  Oh, and it has 64 MB of memory.  The
only time I notice a slight lag is when I'm running a backup.  As long as
you have sufficient memory and you're not supporting hundreds of clients, I
don't think there's any problem using server machines as workstations.

Nick