Chat Rooms (Policy)

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 23 19:38:06 EST 1998

Uh, pardon my thick head, but I'm not entirely sure how you can go about
enforcing a ban on online chat rooms if you're already having problems
enforcing a time limit on public Internet workstations.  Unless you resort
to some draconian software filtering solution, you're still gonna wind up
doing the Internet police thing.  As a former public librarian and board
member, and a current regular patron, I'm fairly put off by the idea of
having someone watching over my shoulder as I surf the Net.

Okay, I'll grant you that the level of discourse in most Web chat rooms is
rock bottom.  So?  Does your library also exclude frothy romance novels and
gruesome horror tomes from its collection?  I'd venture not.  You're
probably also circulating popular videos.  Since when is recreation not a
valid use of the public library?  My teenage son sits in the library and
reads Mad Magazine.  Is he enriching his mind?  Who cares?

IMHO, enforcing Internet workstation time limits is the only fair way to
allocate this particular scarce resource.  (BTW, you may want to reduce the
time limit; it's 30 minutes rather than an hour at our local library.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Mr. Lofback.)  If someone wants to spend his or her
30 minutes researching investments, gathering medical or legal information,
looking at the Dilbert Zone, reading a foreign newspaper, playing online
chess, answering e-mail at a Web-based service...or "wasting time" in a chat
room...well, okay.  At one end of the spectrum, there are a lot of lonely
people who find virtual company in chat rooms.  At the other end, some of
the engineers I've worked with on a consulting basis have collectively
solved quadratic equations in chat rooms.

If you are a bona fide research institution or a corporate/special library,
you have a legitimate reason to confine your Internet workstations to
"business use only."  I don't think public libraries should be looking for
ways to ban things like chat rooms, online gaming, etc., unless they are
also prepared to weed their shelves of everything except serious literature,
instructional videos and research materials.

Shirl Kennedy
Information Systems Consultant
Internet Waves columnist - Information Today