ISDN vs T-1

Sara Aden saden at kearney.net
Sat Mar 14 12:36:57 EST 1998

I apologize for duplication, this post is being cross referenced to 6
different listservs.

I am soliciting opinions/information on why a library would choose PRI ISDN
over T-1 or vice versa.  If you had the option to use either for a primary
Internet access line into your library, which would you choose and why?

Backgrounder:
A public library with approximately 80,000 holdings is installing a
dedicated line for the first time and wants to install with 1.5xx Mps
bandwidth .  We are also installing an NT Server, but at this time will
probably not be "hosting" Internet web pages.  Initial use of the LAN will
include distribution of the Internet throughout the building and printer /
file sharing.  Intranet applications with other city departments via fiber
is also a goal as well as Z39.50 and GUI OPACs.  We have the option for
either PRI ISDN or traditional T-1 communication lines to the Internet via
local ISP(s).  I have heard good and bad for both and there does not seem to
be another public library in our state utilizing ISDN at this time.

Thanks in advance for your time and response.

Sara Aden
Kearney Public Library and Information Center
saden at kearney.net