Scroll bars going wacko?

A. Helfman helfman at huc.edu
Wed Mar 11 18:13:09 EST 1998

At 12:57 PM 3/11/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>On my Win95 computer using Navigator 4.04 I get occasional
>incidences (at least 1x a day) where the scroll bar takes off
>whenever my mouse comes near it.  This is usually followed by the
>scroll area becoming nearly an inch wide!
>
>If I go to a new page it will go away.
>
>Has anyone seen this?

	Yes, it happened to me when I first got my new machine (a Pentium 200-MMX)
running Windows95.  It would happen suddenly both in Netscape and in Eudora.

	I never got any explanation of how or why it was happening.  I suspected
that it had something to do with the fact that I'd crudely removed Internet
Explorer, but I have no proof of this.  I eventually had to re-install
Win95 on account of another problem I was having with configuration, and
since I did the "clean" install of Win95 (in which I left IE alone), I have
not had the problem since.

	I hate to post something that sounds more like superstition than technical
advice, but I am glad to see that I wasn't the only person to experience
this problem.  I'd love to see a better explanation and/or solution, if
anyone can provide one!

Amy W. Helfman        Judaica Librarian         HUC-JIR, NY
helfman at huc.edu              http://www.albany.edu/~helfman