Automation of inhouse reference files

Paul Deane answers at interaccess.com
Wed Mar 11 17:02:01 EST 1998

Paul Deane
Answers, Inc.
answers at interaccess.com
847-368-8870
Fax  368-8869
-----Original Message-----
From: Toth-Waddell at ontla.ola.org <Toth-Waddell at ontla.ola.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 1998 2:41 PM
Subject: Automation of inhouse reference files

>I have just joined the list, so I apologize if this topic has been
>previously discussed.
>
>Our library has numerous in-house reference files, some of which we have
>automated using the DOS version of Inmagic.  We are now interested in
>converting these to windows and in exploring options for how to make
>these databases available on an Intranet.
>
>We are beginning to consider upgrading our integrated library system.
>The question  is whether we should go ahead and find windows based
>database software now that can be integrated into any new system we may
>buy, or whether the new integrated library systems now on the market
>will give us this capability.
>
>Other questions are:
>
>* what software packages are libraries using to create inhouse web
>ready databases?
DBText from InMagic is good.  AskSam for windows is also very good.  Having
used both
for this type of project, I prefer askSam.  Glen Kersten with the Suburban
Library System has a
good ready reference database that uses askSam.
Glen Kersten
E-mail Address(es):
 kersteng at sls.lib.il.us
Business Information:
 Title: Research Librarian
 Company: Suburban Library System
 Address:
    834 Lake Street
    Oak Park IL 60601
 Phone: 708-445-2230
 Fax: 708-445-2232

I also do consulting work with askSam.

>* are there any Intranet software packages we should be
>considering?
Web Publisher allows askSam databases to be searched over the internet.
Good Product.  See examples at http://www.asksam.com.