What started this! RE: definition of "meta"

Roy Lewis rcl at onramp.net
Thu Mar 5 11:31:18 EST 1998

My original question about META was prompted by the editor of our
newsletter.  She reminded me that we try not to use acronyms that are not
familiar with our System members.  She ask me for a definition for META and
I did not find it in or dictionary of computer terms (that was about 2
years old)

Before using a search engine for the answer I thought I would post the
question to this list.  I did get several good responses and did find a
printed reference.

My final analysis and understanding is that META data is data about data.
 I now understand that it is not a acronym but a derivative of another
word.

Enough Said!

Roy Lewis
rcl at onramp.net