Chat Rooms (Policy)

Mallika Pichumani pichum at mont.lib.md.us
Tue Mar 24 22:08:21 EST 1998

Elisabeth - it would be great if you could obtain a synopsis from Joel
Snyder on what is and isn't technically feasible with regard to
prohibiting chat and post it here. Banning chat is one thing, but
achieving it technically is another kettle of fish.
Hope this won't be too huge a request - it would relieve Mr. Snyder of
being inundated with too many individual requests. I'm inclined to agree
with Chuck Bearden that a total ban on chat (particularly via telnet)  is
probably impossible to achieve. Our own dept., while not providing any IRC
clients, does not ban chat, but like most sites does impose time limits.
But the subject of chat manages to rear its head in nearly every
discussion regarding public web access. Thanks very much.

--Mallika
Montgomery County Public Libraries
Rockville, MD