New NT Server and Telnet software question

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Mar 9 17:13:31 EST 1998

I have been using Pragma Systems INET InterAccess Telnet server Beta 4 on an
ALPHA NT server with satisfactory results.  There is an Intel NT version. I
found the software at   http://32bit.bhs.com/   this is the Beverly Hills
Software site with loads of NT and 95 software,demos, shareware, and freeware.
The following is from the readme file for the IA Telnet server"

"If you have installed the evaluation package, it will let you run it for thirty
days from the time of installation. To install the package again , do as follows
:
 teld_x86.exe (or teld_axp.exe for ALPHA AXP)
 http://www.pragmasys.com"
The login for all users can permit access via the NT user base or from a defined
user base.  I did have to find an editor program that did not use windows
shortcut keys.  The short cut keys activated the terminal client's features not
the program you run from the telnet session.  That is , I ran MS edit from a
telnet session but coud not close it or save because alt-f would bing down the
terminal clients menus.  So I found a small editor that used function key
commands.  That's one reason you may want to map drives and use a local copy of
notepad or some other editor.

Other telnet server software for  NT available there is  Ataman Telnet Server:
v1.11, CommNet 32: v 1.0 server/client.

Also, you can map drives from the NT server to NT workstations, Windows 95, or
Windows for Workgroups with control over the user rights..  I am running
Netscape Enterprise Server on an ALPHA NT and have set a subdirectory in the
document delivery directory for users.  I mapped the user's drive to another
directory in that subdirectory , using their email name, that each user can put
their contribution on the website and they can view it via a URL following that
same directory path.  Once the pages are approved they can easily be moved or
copied to the public section of the WEB server directories.

Thomas

Peter Milbury wrote:

> Dear Web4Lib,
>
> Help please: We need some freeware telnet server software for mounting on a
> WIN NT server.
>
> We just set up our new library webserver using NT 4.0, mounted with Netscape
> Enterprise Server, and I would like to have telnet access to files. Easy to
> do minor tweaking of pages.
>
> Is there any reason not to allow telnet (by admin only)? Should I only be
> updating pages by FTP?
>
> Would appreciate your recommendations.
>
> Peter Milbury                          pmilbury at cusd.chico.k12.ca.us
>
> Librarian-Mentor Teacher      http://www.cusd.chico.k12.ca.us/~pmilbury
> American Memory Fellow:  Library Of Congress - National Digital Library
> Chico High School, Chico, CA 95926     http://dewey.chs.chico.k12.ca.us
> A National Blue Ribbon and California Distinguished School 530-891-3036

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2795   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received