Running login scripts from WinNT 4.0 custom shells?

Tim Kambitsch kambitsch at DAYTON.LIB.OH.US
Mon Mar 9 13:12:00 EST 1998

Here's our current webstation configuration:

We run WinNT 4.0 Workstation with Netscape 4.04 Standalone Navigator.
These public machines are autologged (using TweakUI) into a domain-based
roaming profile account that uses the ZAK tool runapp.exe to launch
Netscape as its "custom" shell.  Works great in keeping users from being able
to manipulate the workstation configurations.

But  here's my challenge:

Since using Netscape as the shell we have not been successful in running login
scripts.
Does anyone know if you loose the ability to run login scripts of you use
runapp
with Netscape as a custom shell?

Here's more about what we are trying to do:

Since Netscape is the default shell, the default download/save file location
is one
of the /program files/Netscape.../ directories.  While we have changed setting
the
default location to other diretories, such as c:/temp/, etc.  users still can
navigate
their way around directories on the hard drive  that cannot be write
protected, such
as the Netscape /cache/ directory.  The've been saving their data on those
systems.

TweakUI does have an interesting capability to disable users viewing the
contents
of a drive, but if the user is already viewing sub-directories of a disk
volume then that
volume isn't  hidden unless the user navigates up to "My Computer"

So we have been attempting to run login scripts to clearout these directories,
but
so far have not been able to get them to run while Netscape is the custom
shell.
Any other solutions.