Fwd: NEW: webwomen - Women Web Professionals Discussion List

Byron C. Mayes bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Tue Jun 30 01:46:38 EDT 1998

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Vincent Wright wrote:

> Yeah, Judy!
> I believe this is how we will make progress!
> When we look at getting things done as opposed to
> the gender or the complexion of the person who's doing it!
> Thank you for speaking up!

Well, there *is* still a need for supportive environments for women,
people of color, and sexual minorities in our various professions,
particularly those dealing with technology or finance which are largely
straight white male dominated and have a bit of "old boy network" in the
culture.

I do wonder, though, if webwomen isn't a skosh too specific, though. It
seems like a broader "women in technology" or "IT women" would be more
useful.

But, I'm a man, so I won't presume to be an expert on what women need.

Tangentially yours,
Byron C. Mayes
Listowner, BLACK-IP: The Black Information Professionals' Network
<mailto:black-ip-subscribe at makelist.com>
<http://www.findmail.com/list/black-ip/>

 Prof. Byron C. Mayes
 Systems Librarian/Assistant Professor
 Hunter College of the City University of New York
 695 Park Avenue * New York, New York 10021
 bcmayes at hunter.cuny.edu  * 212-772-4168 * Fax: 212-772-5113