PC Personality Problem

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Sat Jun 27 07:57:20 EDT 1998

Michael Dargan <darganm at iren.net> writes:
>I have several Pentium 133s, 32 megs RAM, Win95, Intel NICs, etc.
>running Navigator Standalone 4.05.  With one exception they work fine.
>The odd one won't work with java-script enabled.  When it hits a page
>with javascript, down it goes.  Navigator crashes and I restart.
>
>I've formatted the HD, reinstalled, but have had no luck.  I'm
>currently running it with java-script disabled while I continue brooding
>over the possibilities.
>
>Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
>
>---
>Michael J. Dargan                               office: 319 291 4496
>Technical Systems Administrator                    fax: 319 291 6736
>Waterloo and Cedar Falls Public Libraries         Waterloo, IA 50701

As Netscape Navigator and MS Internet Explorer handle
JavaScript (and JScript in Microsoft's case) on their own,
perhaps the NN installation program somehow got
corrupted.  You might also try going to those same problem
web pages with Internet Explorer and see if that causes the
same crashing.  If not, you might consider using MSIExp in
place of NN on this computer if the problem persists.  You
may also try an earlier version of NN, which you can
download from www.netscape.com.  If problems continue,
I'd begin to look around at other things, such as any plugins
or other software/security settings you might be using that
somehow conflict with NN.  I know Shockwave had a problem
with 686MMX clone chips and made a patch available, so
these things can and do happen.  If you can click on details
and see what .DLL/etc NN is crashing, that may provide
further insight.

JavaScript is one of those things you should have enabled
(as more pages than ever employ it).  Hope all works out.

Robert J. Tiess, Tech/Webmaster
Middletown Thrall Library - http://www.thrall.org
rjtiess at juno.com, thrall12 at warwick.net

-