Do we Filter Word

Nancy Bunker nbunker at whitworth.edu
Fri Jun 26 13:04:45 EDT 1998

At 08:18 AM 6/26/98 -0700, Audrey Kelly wrote:
>Re: the Word thesaurus - it is at times quite amusing to see the
>programmer humor... check out the definition for librarian.

I see nothing amusing to the humor in calling a librarian a serious amateur,
or a hobbyist, antiquarian or any of the other terms.  This is just another
example of how little respect librarians receive.

I also don't understand why I should have to pay for the privilege of
hearing someone else's humor in a tool such as a thesaurus, in a word
processing program. I would like to think I could trust my word processor to
aid my children in writing their papers with correct English. Apparently,
Microsoft could care less about the education of our children.
Nancy Bunker
Coordinator of Reference Services
Whitworth College Library
Spokane, WA  99251-0901