Cookies, privacy, mIm

Chuck Bearden cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Tue Jun 9 12:51:28 EDT 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, James Klock wrote:

> At 07:16 AM 6/9/98 -0700, <cherry at banjo.com> wrote:
> >One problem which does arise is that each file on a Windows-95/98 system
> >(normal FAT) occupies an entire cluster (32K Bytes) and thus even though
> the >cookies themselves are small, they can fill up one's disk since
> hundreds of >these nuisances occupy considerable disk space.
>
> Surely you mean 32 bytes (not Kilobytes, or just over three orders of
> magnitude larger).  And the last I checked, my cookies (per Netscape

I think Bob is correct that clusters are 32K.  Chkdsk on my Win95
machine says that there are 32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
However, I think you are correct that they all go to one file, so that
each one doesn't claim an allocation unit.

Chuck Bearden
Network Services Librarian
Houston Public Library
Houston, TX  77002