DBMS Implementation for SQL?

Chuck Bearden cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Wed Jun 3 14:57:02 EDT 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Margaret Schaus wrote:

> Dear List Members,
>
> Does anyone know of low-cost (i.e. less than $300) or shareware DBMS for
> SQL?  We are interested in building a database in SQL but can't afford the
> costs of Microsoft SQL Server and comparable packages.  Suggestions and
> advice are most welcome.
>

> Margaret Schaus (mschaus at haverford.edu)
> Magill Library
> Haverford College
> Haverford, PA  19041
> Tel. 610-896-1166
> Medieval Feminist Index, Editor
> http://www.haverford.edu/library/reference/mschaus/mfi/mfi.html

PostgreSQL is a free SQL DBMS.  I have never used it but I know of it
because it is distributed as part of Red Hat Linux.  Website at

  http://www.postgresql.org/

Here is the information included in the Red Hat PostgreSQL RPM:

"PostgreSQL is an enhancement of the POSTGRES database management
system, a next-generation DBMS research prototype.  While PostgreSQL
retains the powerful data model and rich data types of POSTGRES, it
replaces the PostQuel query language with an extended subset of SQL.
PostgreSQL is free and the complete source is available.

PostgreSQL development is being performed by a team of Internet
developers who all subscribe to the PostgreSQL development mailing
list. The current coordinator is Marc G. Fournier
(scrappy at postgreSQL.org). This team is now responsible for all
current and future development of PostgreSQL.

The authors of PostgreSQL 1.01 were Andrew Yu and Jolly Chen. Many
others have contributed to the porting, testing, debugging and
enhancement of the code.  The original Postgres code, from which
PostgreSQL is derived, was the effort of many graduate students,
undergraduate students, and staff programmers working under the
direction of Professor Michael Stonebraker at the University of
California, Berkeley.

The original name of the software at Berkeley was Postgres. When
SQL functionality was added in 1995, its name was changed to
Postgres95.  The name was changed at the end of 1996 to PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL runs on Solaris, SunOS, HPUX, AIX, Linux, Irix, FreeBSD,
and most flavours of Unix."

Chuck Bearden
Network Services Librarian
Houston Public Library