Cookies, privacy, mIm

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jun 10 08:21:30 EDT 1998

The FAT16 file system has a 32k cluster size only for disk partitions
between 1GB and 2GB.  A smaller partition will have smaller cluster sizes
and accordingly less waste; that's one reason why a new machines with 4GB
drives sometimes come with, for example, an 800MB C: partition, a 1.2GB D:
partition, and a 2GB E: partition.  The C: drive in this configuration
only has a 16k cluster size.

It certainly bears pointing out that Win95 OSR1--the factory installed
version for about the last year--uses FAT32, as does Win98.  FAT32 uses a
4k cluster size for partitions up to 8GB.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu