Cookies

N. McLees nmclees at ezonline.com
Sat Jun 6 13:35:23 EDT 1998

Mike Dargan wrote:
>We're running Netscape Standalone 4.05 on Win95 workstations that are
>under severe policy restrictions and Fortres 101.  I've disabled cookies
>but am getting pressure from patrons who desire them.  I'm leery of
>allowing them on public workstations.
>
>Am I being to fussy?  What would be the practical significance of
>enabling cookies which are sent back to the server?

I've never understood why anyone other than vendors would want cookies, but
perhaps I'm missing something.  The only useful thing that I am aware of
cookies doing is to allow you to customize a site to your individual
preferences - show golf news first, bring up your transaction account,
greet you by name, ect.  On a machine where multiple users with different
preferences will be accessing the site, it doesn't make any sense to allow
customization.

Am I missing some other great use of cookies from the user side?

N. McLees