access to the airwaves

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Sat Jul 25 23:28:14 EDT 1998

>...How is it possible for a group
>to monitor email messages and post cautionary messages like this?  Does
>anybody else find this outrageous?   Can someone explain how it is done?  I
>realize they have some software that looks for certain keywords but how do
>they gain access to the "air waves" and what is to prevent a political
>group from doing the same thing?

Assuming that this relates to Web4Lib having Web-accessible archives, not much.
This is why you see warnings to be cautious in what you post to a public list
(or in private mail, for that matter).  Do an Alta Vista search for your name
and/or workplace and you may be delighted/startled/mortified at how much of
your writing has been immortalized.

Hmmm, perhaps this will become a common practice for employers checking out
prospects...

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org