CGI SCRIPT HELP

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Thu Jul 23 08:56:00 EDT 1998

Hi,

I'm a real newbie to the whole area of CGI scripts.  I know enough to get
myself into trouble but not enough to get out!

What I'm looking to do is run a simple password protection script.  It
only needs to do three things:

1) Prompt a user for a 13 digit (a barcode #) password
2) Check that password against an existing text file and determine whether
that password is valid
3) If yes -- forward the user onto a page, If no --  deny the user access

I've found a ton of these scripts but they all use both a username and a
password.  I haven't had any success modifying the scripts to just query
for a password.  This seems so simple but it has me stymied.  I know
someone out there has the answer.

This is the script I've been working with -- unmodified -- it seems fairly
straightforward and the author allows modifications so if you can, work
with this script unless you already have something available.

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/login.txt

Thanks!

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library