Wireless mouse

Jason Clabaugh jclabaug at mail.xula.edu
Wed Jul 22 13:10:14 EDT 1998

	Are these people for real?  I thought this was a joke at first (especially
given the spelling of the e-mail address -aminals4u) and then I checked out
the website.  It's serious!  I mean no disrespect to *any* animal lovers
(or activists--there are certainly a lot of abuses occurring out there!)--I
am an avid pet owner with many cats and even more fish, but this practice
seems really ridiculous and at the very least, ill-conceived.
	My guess is that this is a filtering device of some sort looking for the
word <mouse> (among others).  The fact that it disregarded the word
<wireless> and disregarded the fact that it was sniffing a technical list
(where the word <mouse> would be used many times in a *totally* animal-free
context is ample evidence (to me) that filters are certainly not infallible
(my apologies to David Burt, et al.)--especially if they are improperly
configured (as this one clearly is).  I don't know about you all, but
personally, I'm gonna complain to these folks...<sheesh!>

Jason

At 07:12 AM 7/22/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Friend,
>
>As a part of our email alert service, we, the members of the American
>Society for Small Animal Welfare, routinely monitor e-waves for postings
>that point out potential abuses to animals.
>
>Our "e-wave sniffer" intercepted your message to
><web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>.  In this message, the terms <use the
>We are sure you are not intending any harm to small animals, but we want
>to make sure you are aware that animals taken from their natural
>environment and used for human purposes suffer more greatly than most of
>us are aware.
>
>If this message is in error, we apologize, and we hope you will
>understand that this small inconvenience is worth the thousands of small
>animal lives that can potentially be saved through this process.
>If you are involved in, or know of anyone involved in, using <mouse> for
>any purposes that could be considered harmful, we urge you to reconsider
>what you are doing.  Did you know that 82% of small animal deaths are
>unnecessary? Did you also know that small animals feel pain, fear,
>emotional attachment, and separation anxiety just as humans do?  Did you
>also know that many small animals have been found to have the same
>musculature as that which produces smiles and frowns in human beings?
>
>Please, remember that there is not all that much that separates many of
>us from our small animal friends.  Only you can help <mouse> if <mouse>
>is in need.
>
>Again, if this message is in error, we apologize.  For more information
>on efforts to treat animals humanely, please visit:
>http://members.aol.com/Alto222/grotto.html
>
>Thank you.

Jason Clabaugh
Head of Library Systems