Web-site Development Tools

Sheryl Dwinell Sheryl.Dwinell at marquette.edu
Wed Jul 22 10:20:29 EDT 1998

I work with FP and then tweak the code If I encounter errors after running a
page through a validator. And, believe it or not, I usually find that the
pages I work on in FP pass the validation process with no problems. Amazing,
ain't it??  I know people like to trash FP for various reason, but if it
works for my site's need, that's all that matters, right?  Each site is so
different and every site manager's needs differ slightly, so the final
choice you make in HTML editors depends upon what works for you. Therefore,
the best suggestion I can offer to the person who originally posted the
question is to download the trial versions of  the HTML editors that people
on the list have raved about (Dreamweaver, HomeSite, HotDog, etc. etc.) and
see what you like best. While the folks in Web4Libland have a great deal to
offer in terms of the pros & cons of various editors, I think you're the
best judge of what editor works best for your situation.

I prefer to use a combination of products, primarily FP and HomeSite. I like
FP because I can make changes so quickly, such as altering the contents of
table cells. It takes about half the time it would to do it by hand. I also
like seeing my pages in some version of how they'll appear in the browser as
I'm working on them. However, I have an aversion to using FP for creating
forms. I just like to have more control over what's happening, so I create
them in a text editor or HomeSite. FP has other annoying features, but
overall it works fine for the type of Web pages I create for our library. I
REALLY like HomeSite's find/replace functionality. I use it a lot. I tested
out Dreamweaver and really like it. I'd love to purchase a copy, library
budget willing.

Sheryl Dwinell
Webmaster/Database Management Librarian
Marquette University Libraries