Web-site Development Tools

Linda Absher (absher) absher at sequent.com
Tue Jul 21 14:49:06 EDT 1998

As an intranet librarian responsible for coordinating several hundred web
publishers within my company, this question has been taking up quite a bit of
my time lately. After evaluating several editors I've decided upon the
following:

Mac:
 BBEdit--by far the best non-WYSIWYG editor (or just plain HTML editor, IMO).
Does require knowledge of HTML, however, but if you want complete control
over your tagging short of doing it in a text editor, it's the way to go.
For more info visit http://www.barebones.com

MAC WYSIWYG:  Don't use one due to the HTML-tagging control issue, but I have
heard good things about Dreamweaver from Macromedia
(http://www.macromedia.com).  Haven't used the Mac version, but the PC
version is pretty slick.  I think it's a bit more than the average HTML
editor ($219?)

Windows:  HomeSite--generally considered the PC version of BBEdit, although
it comes from a different company.  Very user-friendly but does require
knowledge of HTML.  Available at http://www.allaire.com.

Windows WYSIWYG:  Hmm....for various reasons, this is a difficult one for me,
but I'd say Dreamweaver in terms of functionality and user friendliness.  One
of the issues within our company is the ease when debugging code if someone
with little (or no) HTML knowledge gets stuck.  FrontPage is very popular
within the corp, but I found debugging it to be a nightmare (seems to add a
lot of hidden code to a page).  In terms of all-around ease in terms of use
and debugging, I liked HoTMetaL Pro since it offers a WYSIWYG view with tags
as bullets. That's available via http://www.softquad.com.

Sorry for the long message, but if anyone is interested in what our criteria
was in evaluating editors, please e-mail me and I'll pass them along.

LInda Absher