Allowing e-mail only

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Mon Jul 13 17:23:11 EDT 1998

At 03:02 PM 7/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Improper use of the Internet is a concern at our institution. The powers
>that be want to limit or shut off the Internet, but allow the e-mail
>function. . . .
>Our question: Are there others out there facing a similar situation and
>if so, how are you handling it?

Ah at last an easy question - as long as we stay out of the philosophical
arena (please).
What I think you really mean by "shut off the Internet" is - not allow Web
browsing - surfing.
We have one area that needs e-mail access for communication but where the
Manager does not want workers browsing the web.

Simple answer -- place a freeware mail reader such as Eudora Lite on their
machines. Do NOT place a web browser there (or if there is one remove it).

This works fine with Macs and with Windows 3.x and 95.  With the advent of
Windows 98 where the web browser is integral to the operating system it may
be a little trickier.

Paul H. Gray, Learning Resources Manager	Phone:  (817)515-6623
TCJC Northeast LRC				Fax:    (817)515-6275
828 Harwood Road				E-Mail: phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Hurst, Texas 76054