Viewing style sheet source code?---the mystery revealed

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafvax.lafayette.edu
Wed Jan 14 16:35:06 EST 1998

Thanks to replies from "Jim'll" Knight, JQ Johnson, and Thomas Dowling, the
mystery with viewing style sheet source code has been uncovered.

Simply trying to open the style sheet file within Netscape (the logical
route, which I had tried but wasn't working) does indeed work, but only if
the page which employs the sheet has not already been viewed. Jim'll and JQ
provided "fresh" URLs for style sheet files, which displayed as code when I
opened them. But then I emptied the cache, viewed the Web doc, and
attempted to see the style sheet source code and the problem originally
described repeated itself---no source code, just Web page.

So, it seems that once a Web page which employs an external style sheet has
been viewed, the source code cannot be viewed until the page is purged from
the cache. (At least on my machine, with my broser/OS, today...)

Bob Duncan

  Robert E. Duncan
  Reference/Instruction Librarian
  David Bishop Skillman Library