Flat Wire to Web Workstations

Tom Klingler tk at lms.kent.edu
Tue Jan 13 12:05:34 EST 1998

A few years ago at another institution I had a similar experience.   The
carpet folks and the architect folks insisted on the flat wire.  We had it
installed all around the reference desk.  We moved all the furniture back
in place. Nothing worked.  Then we had the flat wire folks come visit(they
had subcontracted the install with a local electrician.)  When they saw our
setup they said, " Well, you can't expect it to work if you're gonna' put
counters and  tables and bookcases on top of it!  And, BTW, you shouldn't
be running those heavy cart things [book trucks] over our wire either!
And, oh yeah, try to keep women with high heeled shoes from walking in
these areas."

The power poles that were installed later by another company were found to
be economical, efficient, and aesthetically-pleasing to all who wanted data
to move to the reference workstations!

TK
==

At 5:35 PM -0800 1/12/98, Jim Rosaschi wrote:
>I would like to hear any horror OR happy stories about libraries
>using under carpet power/data (flat wire) to web workstations.
>This type of cable would be placed under carpet tiles.  My interest
>is with both public and staff workstations.  The carpet tile sales folks
>say it is the way to go--but I only trust my WEB4LIB pals....
>
>While this might seem to be a stretch for this list, it is an
>aspect of providing internet access we haven't discussed much.
>
>Jim Rosaschi
>Sonoma County Library
>Santa Rosa, CA

Tom Klingler
Head of Systems,  Libraries and Media Services
Kent State University, Kent, OH, U.S.A.
44242-0001
330-672-2962 (x. 18)              tk at kent.edu
330-672-4811  (fax)