ACLU Continues to Back Down From Library Suits

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Fri Jan 9 16:37:22 EST 1998

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, JQ Johnson wrote:

> Shirl Kennedy writes:
>
> >>Strangely enough, we haven't heard one word of complaint from the
> pedophile
> >>community since the filtering plan took effect."
> >>http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/010498/Sunedit3.html
> >
> > Since when does viewing of pornography = pedophilia?
>
> It doesn't.  The inadvertent point here is that the filtering is INEFFECTIVE
> in interfering with the activities of pedophiles, but EFFECTIVE in
> interfering with legitimate users, who HAVE complained.

It might also help to remember that information was posted to WEB4LIB
third hand, from the Florida Times-Union web site (www.jacksonville.com).
Any opinions regarding the wording ("pedophile community" vs. "pornography
community") should probably go to the site of the original information,
not this list, don't you think?

BTW, I agree with both your points, but my opinion is that people are nit
picking on the wording of the article (which is listed as "opinion"
anyway), and this list really isn't meant for that purpose.

John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466