Ending slash in url yielding source doc. display??

Sara T. sarat at FNAL.GOV
Fri Jan 9 12:18:19 EST 1998

Web4Lib folk:

Hi.  I would be quite interested in hearing if anyone else has had the
following problem, and what your solution(s) were.

Most of our Info. Resources Dept.'s Web pages are on a SUN SPARC Station,
running SUN OS 5.5.1, and using the CERN http server.
We JUST upgraded to 5.5.1 right before the holidays.
The following problem has only occured, to our knowledge, this week.  So,
the OS looks like the culprit.

When one types in/uses a bookmark, for the urls for at least two of our
pages, when the urls have ending slashes (e.g.
http://fnalpubs.fnal.gov/index.html/) the resulting display on the browser
is the SOURCE DOCUMENT, i.e. the html-tagged text file.
This happens using Netscape on the following platforms:  Mac OS, Win NT,
and UNIX.  But it does not happen ALL the time!

A UNIX support guy says the end slashes are the problem.  That could well
be.  But they were never a problem on previous versions of the OS on our
Sun station.

Hmmm!

Any thoughts welcome.

Thank you.