Web sites getting email address from browsing

Luc Grondin grondin.luc at uqam.ca
Wed Jan 7 12:43:13 EST 1998

Hello everybody,

I recently received two disturbing email messages.  The first one invited
me to visit a XXX Web site and the second informed me that I was granted
free usage of Verisign (not sure about the spelling) for a while (it is an
authentication system, or something like that).  I first thought they had
obtained my email address from directories, until I remembered ending up in
such Web site a few days back (I was doing some test searching with Hotbot
to find different examples of video file formats and clicked "randomly"
from the results  ;->  ah well...).  I remember vaguely this Verisign
business and something about getting the free service for a trial period.
I didn't go further on this site and I am absolutely certain to never have
filled any form or clicking any button.

It seems clear, then, that they were able to get my email address from my
browser (Navigator).  Is it possible that some scripts (Javascripts for
instance) would be able to read the identity variables from the user's
browser?  I know that there are HTTP variables that give informations about
the Web client.  Do they go to that extent?

I find it offensive the idea that particular Web sites would get my name
and email address without my knowledge.  That feels more intrusive than
leaving a cookie or getting the IP address of my machine.  Is there anyone
who would have information on that issue?

Salutations!

            Luc Grondin
     Bibliothecaire/Librarian
     Bibliotheque des sciences