Printing from DOS

Mike Mitchell mdmit at texas.net
Thu Jan 22 12:53:37 EST 1998

At 07:48 AM 1/22/98 -0800, you wrote:
>... We have a couple of University student-patrons who bring small DOS based
>programs on floppy to this library to work on... More often than not they
cannot get their material to print. ...

>Judy McBrian
>Boonville Library
>jbrian at evansville.net

Some printers are "MS-Windows only." I didn't realize this until we got
ready to purchase a couple of new Brother laser printers. Almost had them
ordered when I re-read the specs and noticed nothing was said about DOS
compatability (which we needed on one). Turns out they make two models of
this printer, one that only works with MS-Windows and one that works with
Windows and DOS. Manufacturers are likewise cutting corners on "MS-Windows
only" modems too (i.e. USR Winmodems).

Mike Mitchell
Tech Services Librarian/System Administrator
Dittlinger Memorial Library
New Braunfels, TX 78130
mdmit at texas.net
http://www.nbpl.lib.tx.us