anyone using TopClass systems? and sharing ULMs?

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Tue Jan 6 16:31:58 EST 1998

I'd like to hear from anyone who has been using the TopClass
web-based instructional courseware product from WBT Systems,
and in particular, what kind of a "library" of TopClass units of
learning material (ULMs) are made available at your institution?
Of particular interest to me is whether ULMs are shared between
institutions, and how that is handled; e.g., are they shared by
means of commercial transactions or is the process more like
interlibrary loan?

TopClass is described at http://www.wbtsystems.com/intro/index.html
-- that name seems to be resolving poorly at some sites; if it
doesn't work, try:  http://208.204.2.10/intro/index.html

Other relevant URLs:
 http://www.wbtsystems.com/showcase/index.html      -- testimonials
 http://www.wbtsystems.com/news/index.html          -- press reviews
 http://www.wbtsystems.com/download/whitepaper.pdf  -- 15-page description

They also sent me this document describing their 2.0 product
release, due out in February, which looks really excellent:
 ftp://ftp.bovik.org/topclass-2.txt

I also put the Instructors' and Administrators' Guides which are
distributed with the free, four-user version of TopClass in my
anonymous FTP directory -- ftp.bovik.org/topclass_*.pdf

Sincere regards,
:James Salsman

P.S.  I have no financial or contractual interest in WBT Systems.