mailto and forms

Glen Davies GLEN at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Tue Jan 6 15:31:11 EST 1998

Hi

I think mailto with forms will only work with Navigator. There are a
couple of other alternatives to CGI. There are some free forms
processing services available such as
http://www.coder.com/code/mailform/

Or if you are running an NT server you could try wsendmail which is a
small executable that can be used to process form input without you
needing to know any cgi. It can be found at

http://www.jgaa.hexagon.net/cgi-bin.htm

Regards
Glen

> I attended a class not too long ago where the instructor
> said that it was possible to use the mailto function when
> initiating a form.
> Since we do not have any cgi scripts installed on our
> server, I thought that the mailto function as part of  the
> form action would perform a long stringed message, but
> would get the job done and would be delivered in the
> designated mailbox.
> I have the code written as follows:
> <form action="mailto:vchiap at mpl.org method="post">
> I've tested this out and the information isn't being
> processed.  I will be getting some help writing some cgi
> scripts later this year, but the boss wants to do some forms
> today.  Can anybody help or suggest an alternative method
> or code?
> Thanks
> Vickie Chiappetti
> Webmaster