Off-Topic - Using PC's to make Audio CD's

bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us
Mon Feb 23 17:56:29 EST 1998

Hi

Sorry this is a bit off the normal track of the discussion, but I
know lots of you are banging away at using PC's to do some
interesting things outside of work as well as within the bosom of our
library homes.

What I want to do is start recording my old LP's onto cd's using my
PC.  I've seen the kits advertised in all the big warehouse catalogs
and would like to know more about the practical issues involved.

Such as:
How great a sound card do I need - mine is just adequate, not more.
Are there technical glitches that tend to make this less than a
straightforward process?
Is the resulting sound quality adequate?
Is there a particular cd drive/software pairing that anyone would
care to recommend for this kind of work?

While this is entirely for personal reasons, (if pressed I'd say
experience gained may be of some limited use to our library in the
future), it may be relevant to some of you with greater
professional preservation concerns than my own - which is my ultimate
justification for the posting I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Bobb Menk                Internet Librarian
Lane Memorial Library    Hampton NH  03842
bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us  603-926-3368