Data Missing

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Wed Feb 11 17:53:56 EST 1998

At 12:21 PM 2/11/98 -0800, J. Cadieux wrote:

>The error message appears when a patron tries to print out UPS parcel
>tracking information, it also appears when a patron tries to print listings
>from a job information site (monsterboard).  If this helps...

Hmm.  Monsterboard uses our search engine...  If there is a long delay
between the original search and the attempt to print, it will have timed
out the search session.  When you run a search, you only get back the first
X results.  The server creates the whole results list in memory with
temporary pointers to the documents; as you ask for further results, it
only has to fetch them from memory.  They are temporary because they're in
memory; they're in memory because it is fast.  But they expire, and that
may be what is happening to your users.  The more concurrent users there
are, the faster they expire, given a constant amount of memory available.
Once that session has expired, there's no way to get the data back except
to re-run the search.

However, I would find it strange if it expires so quickly that the user
cannot search, then immediately print.  I just did a search on Monsterboard
and then printed the results without a problem, using IE 4.0.

Nick
--
    Senior Product Manager, Knowledge Applications
        Verity Inc.  (http://www.verity.com/)
  Phone: (408) 542-2164  E-mail: narnett at verity.com