Evaluating the credibility of web resources

Byron C. Mayes bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Tue Feb 3 14:07:27 EST 1998

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Clay Johnson wrote:

> I would say that information in Books have far more validity behind them,
> than web pages unconditionally, wouldn't you?

No, not at all.

I mean, anyone can write a
> web page and post it stating "Monica Lewinsky is a Man," but I don't think
> we can get any books, periodicals, or what not, that can include that
> without some validation, with the exception of the National Enquirer.
> Books, periodicals, etc... have a small validity factor built in, because
> of the amount it takes to get published.

Anyone can get a book published. Really, it's not that hard and it doesn't
cost a great deal of money. Getting published by a reputable publisher is
a different story (well, slightly). It's the credibility of the publisher
that ultimately determines the credibility of the book (a reputable
publisher would weed out any questionable writers as best they could).

The fact that something is printed on paper is not cause in itself to give
it creedence. There is plenty of inaccuracy, revisionism, printing error,
bad writing, bias, and just plain shoddy research to be found in
works from even the "better" commercial and academic publishing houses.
Add to that the myriad "independent", vanity, and fly-by-night publishers
who may not have the resources (or even the desire) to hire a crack
editorial team, plus all of the self-published works available with
virtually *no* editorial input and the possibility for problematic
information grows exponentially.

That is why librarians (should) go through a process of "selection"
instead of just buying everything possible, and why they (should) have
some more-than-cursory knowledge about the field in which they select.
Book selection is a learned process with tools that include reviews and
reputation. Similar tools and processes must be applied when evaluating
information available electronically (Internet or otherwise...who says
that a database or encyclopedia is worthwhile just because it's on CD?).

I'm going to trust the information found in Grateful Med on the web a bit
more than I will "Medicine for Dummies" in print.

Byron

 Prof. Byron C. Mayes
 Systems Librarian/Assistant Professor
 Hunter College of the City University of New York
 695 Park Avenue * New York, New York 10021
 bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu  * 212-772-4168 * Fax: 212-772-5113