Evaluating the credibility of web resources

Clay Johnson cjoh3866 at uriacc.uri.edu
Tue Feb 3 11:16:32 EST 1998

I would say that information in Books have far more validity behind them,
than web pages unconditionally, wouldn't you? I mean, anyone can write a
web page and post it stating "Monica Lewinsky is a Man," but I don't think
we can get any books, periodicals, or what not, that can include that
without some validation, with the exception of the National Enquirer.
Books, periodicals, etc... have a small validity factor built in, because
of the amount it takes to get published.

FYI- I am not a librarian, by any means, but a college student running a
research service on the Net called HumanSearch (http://www.humansearch.com
). This issue, is, first hand, a big one. Basicly, people ask our service
questions, and we go out and try to find the answer. But frequently, we
don't know whether the answer we find is accurate, because who says it is
valid or not?