Virtual tours of libraries

Neubert/Lacy group 2527 at dialup.mplik.ru
Mon Feb 9 21:41:03 EST 1998

Hello,

I am an American Library Association Library Fellow in Yekaterinburg,
Russia.

It would be useful for me to know of any library WWW pages that include a
"virtual" tour of an "average" public library and academic library's
interior (exterior views would be fine too, but that isn't as important).
Something that would include images showing all the typical features--the
reference desk, the reference collection, the area where readers sit, etc
etc--as many features/aspects of the library as possible.  I want to
download something like this and use Whebwacker to be able to show Russians
what American libraries look like.

I realize I could go looking at pages myself that are listed in
Yahoo/libraries or other lists, but the speed of access to the Internet
here would make that a rather lengthy and possible fruitless effort.  I
suspect someone on this list may be able to suggest something to me that
would fit my needs quite nicely.  When you feel pleased if Netscape reports
a transfer rate above 1,000 bytes, you know you are somewhere where access
isn't too swift.  Also, I have to pay for access by the minute (210 old
rubles per minute, or 21 kopecks now that they devalued the currency and
took away 3 zeros).

Thanks!

MN

Michael Neubert
Yekaterinburg, Russia (to May, 1998)

"Yekaterinburg...  the sunniest city in the
world..."
Hillary Rodham Clinton, November 15, 1997