[WEB4LIB] Multiple Netscape windows

Edward Hasbrouck ehasbrouck at igc.org
Wed Dec 30 14:10:27 EST 1998

On 29 Dec 98, at 10:52, "Dan Joldersma" <Dan Joldersma <dan.joldersma at ac.hillsdale.edu>> wrote:

> I read in the last month or two about a shareware program which would
> eliminate duplicate/triplicate/multiple windows which seem to popup
> in a Netscape browser.  Do any of you know the name of the program
> and where it can be found?

I've recently been trying out the various competing products of
this sort for a book I'm researching, and would recommend the
Internet Junkbuster Poxy, freeware from
http://www.junkbuster.com.  The Windows version is basically
a port of the Unix version, so there's no GUI, but it's small,
fast, configurable, and reliable.  The other contending products
are @Guard and InterMute, which have nice interfaces but
slightly fewer functional features.  All 3 are essentially proxy
servers which can be run on the local machine (or on a
gateway); you can even chain them to another proxy server.
Besides blocking popups (if desired) they can be configured to
block or manage cookies, advertising, headers, content, etc.;
they are really quite comprehensive packet filters.