[WEB4LIB] Re: Thanx and Linux

James Klock j-klock at evanston.lib.il.us
Tue Dec 22 10:34:18 EST 1998

>... I will say on NT's behalf that Microsoft is beta testing a suite of
>apps called "NT Services for Unix".  It has an NFS server and client, a
>telnetd server (so you can finally telnet into your NT box), a version of
>the Korn Shell, and a handful of Unix command line utilities: grep, wc,
>sort, uniq, wc, etc.  Also vi, which makes me happy.

That's interesting, actually.  It's particularly interesting when you
consider the recent moves that Novell has made to make Netware 5 more
unix-compliant by including NFS services, telnet services, lpr, and even X
Window services (the new, graphical server console can be used to host or
serve remote X sessions...)

While it's well understood that Microsoft wants to market NT to Unix fans,
it's interesting to see how both NT and Netware are incorporate Unix
compatibility, at this late stage, almost simultaneously, and how (once
again) Novell is beating Microsoft to market.

James