[WEB4LIB] Excel and Netscape

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Dec 18 08:14:44 EST 1998

This sounds very much like the second server does not know what mime type
to send with .xls files (which I believe is application/vnd.ms-excel).  In
all likelihood, your copy of Apache is set with a default mime type of
text/plain, so that's what it tell the browser when it starts sending this
unknown .xls file.

Netscape honors the text/plain header and tries to display the file as
such.  One of IE's greatest shortcomings is that it is always ready to
second-guess the server's Content-type header and display the incoming URL
the way it thinks is right.  This is a violation of RFC2068 (HTTP 1.1)
7.2.1:

     Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
     Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body. If
     and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the
     recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its
     content and/or the name extension(s) of the URL used to identify the
     resource. If the media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD
     treat it as type "application/octet-stream".

The solution, from your end, is to make sure you've got the correct
association for .xls in your copy of mime.types and then restart Apache.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu