[WEB4LIB] Replacing Terminals with PCs

LINDHOLM Janus L Janus.L.LINDHOLM at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Dec 17 14:26:00 EST 1998

> Has anybody replaced their dumb terminals for accessing their OPAC with
PCs?
> We will be in a transitional phase for some months when we will still be
> using a VAX mainframe as our host for access to our catalog,  but will be
> converting our access machines to PCs (probably).   I am trying to find a
> telnet package that will allow me to script a logon process.   I'm
figuring
> that I can use IKiosk to lock the telnet program down once I've got it set
> up.   We'd like to find something cheap, since this is a short term
problem.
> I've looked at various telnet applications and none seem to be quite the
> right fit.  Any ideas?
>
> Please reply directly to me, since I think this is probably of limited
> interest.

Thanks for all the leads on this.  One of the strange things that I will
"probably" be doing as an interim solution, is to be using a direct serial
connection to our VAX.  I didn't really explain that clearly.   We will be
slowly bringing the PCs in, maybe even before we put them on the network.
So I really am not using the Telnet program for Telnet, but as a terminal
emulation program, more on the line of Kermit.  The program that I've been
playing with is called Com, and it works OK, but I'm wondering if there
isn't something else.  Many of the Telnet programs don't seem to allow a
simple serial connection without actually using a modem, which I'm not.

Janus Lindholm
Application Support Technician
Eugene Public Library
 Eugene, OR