[WEB4LIB] The future of browsing?

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Thu Dec 10 14:12:55 EST 1998

At 5:34 AM -0800 12/9/98, Andrew I. Mutch wrote:
> I'm curious as to the reaction to Netscape's soon-to-be released browsing
> engine "Gecko".
>
> See: http://home.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease711.html
>
> Gecko is supposed to fit on one disk and according to the press release
> "Gecko features full support for open Internet standards such as CSS,
> HTML4, DOM1, RDF and XML."  Is it possible that the browser manufacturers
> are coming to their senses and actually going in the right direction?!

I saw the demos at Cnet's Builder.com Live conference in New Orleans
this week.  It rocks!  It is fast, seems to support HTML standards
*much* better than 4.x browsers, renders fast, supports other
standards like XML, CSS1, DOM, ECMAScript and such, renders fast,
fits on a 144 K floppy and did I mention it's fast?  They did a demo
with a bunch of embedded tables, the deepest was 8 tables inside one
another, and resizing just zipped along, on a slow machine.  What a
relief that will be!

The other good news is that it's designed from the ground up to be a
module accessible to other applications, from desktop programs to
embedded systems.

Avi